Most injuries involve damage to the soft tissues (muscles, ligaments, tendons and cartilage) as well as the joints and bones of the body. Immediately following an injury the body sends inflammatory cells to the area to initiate healing. In the acute stage of healing there is increased sensitivity to pain, increased swelling, and guarded motion due to muscle spasm. This stage last for 3-10 days depending on the severity of the injury. Following the acute trauma tissue healing begins. This healing may take up to 4 months.
Chiropractic care can help the transition though these phases speeding and improving the structure of the tissues during the healing process. Ultimately getting you back on your feet sooner.
Goals for Chiropractic Care:
The overall goals of chiropractic care are to relieve pain, promote full healing, restore and maintain full function, reduce chance of re-injury, and prevent accelerated degeneration due to not addressing the problems.
Goals for Acute care:
During acute care the primary goals are to reduce swelling, decrease Spasm, and, minimize Inflammation. Rapid progression through this phase allows the body to begin healing faster.
Chiropractic Manipulation has been shown to help by:
- Restoring joint motion
- Blocking pain
- Accelerating healing
- Normalize muscle tone
- Reducing swelling
- Normalizing nerve pain impulses
The primary goal during this phase is to maximize tissue functioning. At this time pain will likely be minimal and mistakenly patients drop out of care. At this time the tissues are weakened and susceptible to re-injury. Failure to completely restore healing can lead to chronic or recurrent nagging pain.
Sub-Acute Healing Goals:
- Restore normal motion, function, and biomechanics of the joints
- Improve alignment and strength of new connective tissue
- Prevent shortening of scar tissue and chronic stiffness
- Restore and maintain flexibility of ligaments and muscles
- Restore normal muscle tone and coordination
- Promote quicker more effective healing
- Restore and maintain normal sensation
- Reduce risk of re-injury and degeneration
Remember pain is not the problem, just a symptom of your problem.